FIREARMS PERMIT APPLICANTS
TO: All NEW Applicants for Firearms Permit/Former Out of State Applicants
RE: Procedure for Issuance
DT: August 20, 2004
1. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, if naturalized; he/she must bring proof so we can record the number.
2. Complete the application and return it to the Upton Police Department.
3. Effective August 20, 2004, applications may be filled at the following times: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m. Please call ahead to be sure that the Police Department Clerk is available to assist you.
4. At the time the application is filed, fingerprints will be taken
5. If you lived out of state, you must get a letter from the police department in whose jurisdiction you lived, stating you have no criminal record.
6. Applicant must submit two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters must sate that he/she is of good character, a fit person to obtain a firearms license and the letter must be from a responsible person.
7. Applicant must meet with the Chief of Police and he must approve of recommendation.
8. A person required, as a condition of employment to carry a firearm, must present a letter confirming this from employer.
9. The applicant must be 21 years of age if applying for a license to carry and 18 years of age or 15 years of age with a letter from a parent if applying for a FID card.
10. A non-refundable licensing fee of one-hundred dollars ($100.00) is due when the application is filed. Applicants 70 years of age and older are exempt from this fee. Fee should be paid by check payable to the Town of Upton or cash (exact change). The license is valid for four (4) years from the date of the applicant’s birthday. Effective September 29, 2004, licenses will be valid for six (6) years from the date of the applicants birthday.
11. You MUST provide two (2) face front photos 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 inches in size. The Upton Police Department may provide photos for a fee of $5.00 (optional).
12. The applicant MUST produce a certificate from a basic firearm safety class, which has been approved by the Massachusetts State Police.
*Items number 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 are for new applicants only and do not apply for renewals.